Monday, May 11, 2009

Sitting at home alone... peaceful moments.

I'm home. I left all my jeans in Auburn. Maybe I will finally have tan legs?

Almost done with HP 7. It's so intense... hard for me to put it down! I love reading so much, and I can't wait to catch up on my long list of books to read this summer and in the fall. Because I'm an RA next year, I can't work at the pharmacy in the fall, giving me (hopefully) loads of extra time to just hang out, read, and do whatever. I am actively remembering that wasting time is one of my biggest talents, and I'm praying that I use next semester as a gift. Whether it's reading, writing, taking pictures, learning to play guitar, or poring over my Bible and praying, I want to always be doing something constructive in the fall. Facebook is not constructive; sleeping is not constructive... my two biggest vices. I want the fall to be a semester to remember. I will not remember anything if I facebook and sleep my way through it.

I'm super excited about this summer, being an RA, and finally getting to take real journalism classes. As of now, however, I must remember that God sometimes uses the moments we are not excited about (aka the next two weeks) the most. We miss so many opportunities to share, love and serve because we are blindly eager for the obvious. God is well-known for his subtleties. I think he is very wise. If we only fulfilled his will in those grand, overseas mission trip sort of moments, we would think we are able to predict him, which is obviously not the case. Just as he came on a donkey rather than a stallion, in a stable rather than a palace, so he often comes at humble moments in our lives rather than grandeur ones. He always leaves me scratching my head, wondering.

Unrelated verse I read last night: "The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it." John 1:5

4 comments:

  1. Speaking of the gospel of John, I just got through memorizing John 15:9-17. It's beautifully simple and I think that it would be quite easy for Latvians and Russians to understand, even if their English isn't quite so good. That's two stories down and three to go for me! I bet I'm winning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are way too holy for me! :) But you have to admit, the Ecclesiastes story is worth like 12 because it's technically a whole book. I mean, come on. I am planning on doing another one tonight. Maybe the story of Hosea and the prostitute? That might be too deep? Let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about you today. I'm glad that you're resting up and gearing up for your trip! And finishing HP! Such great books for the entertainment factor. I see that you mentioned Hosea in your comment above. Have you read Redeeming Love? It's an allegory to Hosea's story and and makes me cry with humility every time I read it. And I see that I'm not normal, since we get along pretty well (per your profile at the right...haha). Elsie says hello!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was really good Jill. I hope you have a great impact in Latvia, but you are absolutely right when you say God has purposes in places besides the obvious. That is something we all need to remember.

    ReplyDelete