Monday, January 11, 2010

I've fallen and I can't get up!

So I fell today.

"Fell" is a broad term. It could mean stumble, trip, sit down abruptly-- nope.
"Faceplant" is the next term that comes to my mind to describe my accident today. Urbandictionary.com defines a faceplant as an "Act of hitting the ground face-first; a term generally used by participants in extreme sports."
Was I finally participating in Parkour, the extreme sport that has been a semester-long photography project of mine? Was I riding my bike? Was I one of the billions of dedicated "runners" braving the cold in a pair of Uggs and running shorts?

If you have known me for more than five minutes, you know the answer to each of these questions is Absolutely not!, Nope..., and NOOOOOO!

I was just walking. And I tripped over the invisible, evil spider monkey waiting for me in front of Quixote's.
I sustained some injuries that a safe, inactive person like myself should never have to live with. Such as the scrape on my chin. Easily covered up with makeup, fortunately. Or the 11 cuts and abrasions on my hands. (No, I hadn't counted them before I wrote that, P.S.)
These injuries remind me why I thoroughly enjoy photography, reading, watching Gilmore Girls and talking. I now know that even if for some strange reason I suddenly wish to become an extreme athlete (or an athlete at all), the memory of The Face/Handplant of January 10, 2010 will instantly talk me out of my momentary insanity.

I will spare anyone who actually reads this from posting any photos.

In all seriousness, what can I learn from this spiritually? I don't want to make up some stupid metaphorical comparison, but I do think this experience has made me slow down, just like unexpected, undeserved trials in our lives force us to do things a little differently. Just as I had to wash my hair with only my less damaged left hand (showering with open wounds is extremely painful by the way, as is cleaning them with peroxide) rather than both hands, I think when some crazy trial is thrown into our lives, we've got to learn to adapt in order to keep going.
And pain isn't an excuse to abort the mission. I had a meeting I had to go to immediately after my fall. Could I just not show up because I tripped over the spider monkey? Of course not. I had to clean myself up, say a prayer and go to a three hour meeting.
Bad, painful, unexpected things happen to each of us. We don't know why they happen when they happen. We do, however, always have to keep running the race, fighting the fight, or whatever other sports metaphor (I'm thinking of boxing with the fighting one) you would rather use to describe continuing to live a life that brings glory to God.

These challenges, as random as they may seem, have a purpose. The next time something simply crappy happens to you, think about why it may have happened. I don't mean why you deserved it-- some trials are undeserved. Think about what God wants you to slow down and pay attention to. Is He trying to get you to live differently? Is he just reminding you that you need him, and he is the only one who can carry your burdens?

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, for you know the testing of your faith develops perseverence. Perseverence must finish its work so you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment