Saturday, August 8, 2009

Best job ever

I'm an RA this year, and about half of the residents in our building moved in today. I was expecting us to be swamped with annoying questions, crazed parents clawing at the door at 7 a.m. and trying to bend all the rules to fit their needs, and girls who would pitch fits about getting the smaller closet.

None of that happened. People are INCREDIBLE.

The residents arrived, some almost crawling out of their skin with excitement, others smiling nervously, trying to hide that knot in their stomach steadily growing in dread of sleeping away from home for the first time. But none of them were selfish, spoiled or mean. They were funny, sweet and mature about the whole process. They comforted and reassured their parents, who were also great. The families were inquisitive, but not pushy (for the most part), and they were so thankful when we could help them. I saw so many examples of love today-- in the mom who asked questions when her child wasn't around to make sure she would be okay when she had to leave, the younger siblings who were so eager to help their big sister or brother, the dads, who lugged in heavy refrigerators in the 90 degree heat, and even the best friends and extended family who made the trip to help. Everyone was focused on the resident-- I imagine it was both unnerving and encouraging all at the same time.

I loved answering their questions, seeing the sigh of relief in parents' eyes when they saw that someone else cared about their child. Hearing the thank-you's and the sincere questions about my personal life from people who I had just met. Me answering sincerely and seeing the relief in all of their faces that I had survived two years of college, and that they probably would too. Hanging out with residents in the lobby learning their lives, their passions, their stories.

It was a great day. God made me outgoing for this. He made me fearless of talking to strangers for this. He made me with the ability to talk with everyone in the room in under thirty minutes for THIS. I always thought those things were useless. I wanted to be the quiet girl who had something incredible to say when she finally opened her mouth. I wanted to be known for my depth, not my initial bubblyness. I wanted to be mysterious, brooding, thought-provoking.

I'm not those things. I never will be. I need to learn how to listen to people better. I need to respect people while they're talking and give them time to fully develop what they're saying. That's the bad part of my personality. Those are my weaknesses-- I suck at listening. But I'm good at making people feel a part of something. I'm good at hospitality, making people feel at ease in a foreign place. I was hurt earlier in the summer when someone said I was the "meet and greet" girl-- I was good at meeting people, but I needed to pass them along to someone else once they were comfortable. I didn't understand how in the world that could ever be a positive thing. And sometimes it's not. But I'm finally seeing that it can be.

I prayed for some encouragement not too long ago, and God just gave it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment