Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Simplify, Simplify, Simplify!

I've been thinking a lot lately about how to simplify my life. I have already successfully cut back or eliminated several time-sucking activities, like watching TV, but I still feel like I am spreading myself too thin at times. I decided tonight would be a solitary night-- just me, my laundry, homework and God. It's amazing how soothing doing laundry or cleaning my room is when I normally don't have time to do it. It almost becomes a special treat when I can stay at home and catch up on cleaning, write a blog or just do my homework before the night it's due! Being as extroverted as I am presents a problem at times because I thrive off of social interaction and am generally completely content while in constant contact with others. Unfortunately, spending every waking moment in the presence of others is straining on my schoolwork, my relationship with God and my sanity all together! I love my friends, and I love being involved in clubs and whatnot, but sometimes life just calls for a breather from all of that. Spiritually, I can only grow so much when I'm in the presence of others. Sometimes I just need to lock myself away in my room and spend some much needed alone time with my Creator, whether that means being obedient by representing him well in my schoolwork, praising him while doing laundry or actually studying his Word-- sometimes we just need to do things alone. This has been a hard concept for me to grasp since coming to Auburn, but I am learning more and more why Henry David Thoreau talked so much about simplicity. It is soothing to the mind, body and soul, and should always be a priority in our lives. 

2 comments:

  1. Amen! I've been learning the same thing lately. It' not about doing the most. It's about doing less with great precision.

    Stay fly shawty!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete